Sunday 23 January 2011

First Sign of Daffodils

We've done a few chores in the garden, and had another batch of croissant-making. The latter went well, quicker than last time, and we've frozen the formed croissant pre-proving. We're hoping that these can then be taken out of the freezer one evening, defrost and rise overnight, and then be baked fresh for breakfast. That would be very useful, as they'll then be fresh—the alternative, baking them, freezing them, and reheating them, certainly works, but they're nicer fresh.

Outside, we sowed a few seed: a dozen cauliflowers (with a plan to sow at least one more crop), a tray of alpine strawberries (the plants we've had for a few years are cropping much less well, and probably need replacing), and a few dozen sweet peas. We've had a look through our seed collection, and planned roughly what will go where. A lot are a year past their best-before, but we'll sow them and see what comes up in order to run our stock down, before buying fresh for next year. We need, next, to decide on quantity and variety of potatoes. I'm thinking a couple of kilos of first-earlies, the same of second-earlies, and about 4 kg of main crop seeds. Although we definitely want some Belle de Fontenay, the other positions are up for grabs. Maybe some more Blue Danube? They cropped well, and are storing well; the same's true of the Axona.

While pottering, we also spotted the tips of the new daffodils, and—as best we can tell—some of the Puschkinia or Scilla. There's no sign, as yet, of the daffodils we planted in 2009, or those that were already in the garden (in small groups at the edges of the beds, and under the trees): only the new ones. A little perplexing, but hopefully the older ones will show soon. Nonetheless, it's exciting to see the signs of what I'm hoping will be a really colourful display from late March until mid-May.

Of course, a huge number of weeds have also germinated in the high beds where the Puschkinia/Scilla/daffs went, because we cleared so much undergrowth when planting them. I'm wondering about the best approach: I think mulching with bark, or similar, might be a necessity.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm from North Carolina. We've not yet seen the first of the daffodil tips. But, we've had an unusually cold winter here.

    I am a fan of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and one of the episodes featured a delicious looking "christmas cake" which seemed very dense with perhaps a cream topping all covered in icing. Have you heard of that? Thank you. Paula Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! Our winter was also pretty cold; we had a long stretch of days at about -3°C (about 25°F) and nights as low as -10°C (14°F). I don't know the climate of N Carolina to know how that compares. Hopefully your daffodils will start showing soon.

    Co-incidentally, my parents live in the village where the author of 'All Creatures Great and Small' lived and work (Thirsk, in North Yorkshire).

    The Christmas cake you describe sounds like a traditional one: a heavily fruited cake, with royal icing (egg whites and icing sugar). I don't think the US has a tradition of Christmas cakes, but I think the recipe I've got posted is delicious (predictably, I suppose!), and well worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, You're correct. I think we lean toward pumpkin pie.

    Thank you for answering me. I've longed to take a walking tour of your area for years.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah, I have a real soft spot for pumpkin pie. It's only easy to buy pumpkins around Hallowe'en, here, so I always get a 'spare', and freeze the cooked flesh so I can make a pie at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, shut my mouth! I had no idea y'all did Hallowe'en (or even called it that!) I knew it was evolved from ancient Druidic rites, but I didn't know y'all did jack 0 lanterns and all. And here I was, thinking I was a big time Anglophile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's quite a popular event! I think we've imported a few Americanisms from you, it must be said, including pumpkin pie...but jack o'lanterns are common. See Pumpkin Cat, in fact!

    ReplyDelete