Thursday 24 March 2011

Field of Moss

After starting the job at the weekend, I've now finished the lawn's first cut of the year. It's been a little mammoth, as it's been six months since its last cut, and it was a little rough. The weather has been favourable for moss, too, so there are large patches where the grass isn't doing so well, and where the moss has started to gain a foothold. Still, I don't propose doing much about it for now. A lot of the lawn will disappear over the coming years: once I know what will be left, I shall form a plan for weedkilling, feeding, and reseeding. For now, moss grows more slowly.

The clippings, though, have all but filled one bay of my composter. They'll collapse down quite quickly, no doubt, but it does highlight the fact that I need to complete at least one more bay—two won't keep me going for long. When it's this thick (and the mower's collector struggles), raking up takes as long as mowing.

We're still planning potato and onion planting at the weekend, along with moving topsoil and potentially erecting the fleece cage. The weather forecast has improved, so we might get two cool and dry days (it was suggesting rain on Sunday 'til today), which would be excellent. Speaking of weather, I've started to design a spreadsheet (or series thereof) to analyse the weather station's data. So; give me to the end of the month, and I'll have some (deeply fascinating, I'm sure) stats to share. A nerd's work is never done; nor a mower's, I fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment