Tuesday 28 May 2013

New Tenants

For the last two years, we've had a swallow's nest in the porch. They arrived in June 2011, and built the nest below, resting on the keystone on the inside of the arched doorway. That year, they seemed to raise a clutch, and departed in the autumn. Sadly, last year, one or both failed to make it back from their winter habitat, and the nest was unused.


The swallows' nest (© Ian 2011–13)

I've been hopeful that either the original pair will find their way to us this year, or that a new pair will discover the nest, and make use of it. It was unoccupied on Monday (I can be sure, as I was sweeping and cleaning the porch out), but this evening I discovered that new occupants have moved in—and made some changes.



Modified swallows' nest (© Ian 2013)

They appear to have added an extension: I don't know if this is a pair of swallows, or another species, but will keep an eye. It doesn't look (with the leaf extension) like a typical swallow nest, I have to think.

I've also put together a panoramic photo of the hillside, from while we were cutting down some of the hawthorns.


Hillside in late May (© Ian 2013)

Compare, if you like, to February's photo.


Hillside in February (© Ian 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment