Sunday 1 August 2010

Wine, seedlings, and friends

We had Hazel and Alex with us for the weekend, which was much enjoyed: we've not seen them since their wedding, so it was good to catch up, and see the photos and footage from the day. In addition to much board gaming and chat, we also tried a bottle of newly bottled blackberry wine. It was the 'over-spill' from the main demi-john (the recipe, which I'd not tried before, made a bit more than would fit in one), and it was—in my opinion—rather good. Quite sweet, and fairly strong, and wonderfully fruity. I think the blackberry and elderberry (made at around the same time) may be slightly too tannin-y, but we'll see.

In other pleasing news, some 18 of my pulsatilla seeds have germinated. They've taken about six weeks, but that's within the normal range, and I'm pleased that two-thirds have come up. Hopefully a few more will emerge over the next week or so.

The blackberries on my route to work are slowly ripening, but there's not much sign nearer home. I think they'll be another month, really. Unfortunately, I've not been able to collect more bilberries, but I'm holding out hope that I will, still. The blueberries (the older two plants) are producing lots of fruit, which is tasting good: sadly, I think we'll have no more strawberries. We lost a lot to rot, during the damp weather we've had.

We have a busy run of weekends coming up. Next Saturday, a couple we know from university are getting married in Dorset, so we're travelling down to Ludlow on Friday, staying with Liz's grandmother, going the wedding on Saturday, and then staying in Ludlow 'til Monday. It'll be a good occasion, and a nice short break. The weekend after, my parents are visiting. Then, the following Friday (20th), we have another wedding: this time in Derbyshire.

I'm hoping, in the next week, to order some new raspberries, and some other bulbs and autumn goodies. Next month, probably, we'll also pick up another big load of daffodils, to extend the patch of them. I'd like more Scilla and Puschkinia, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment