Sunday 24 April 2011

Watering as Entertainment

We started the day by testing the new irrigation system: a thorough success. Much more so than the fruit beds: I think the 180º jets are better than the 360º version, and having them raised by a foot seems to improve them further.

The painted Easter eggs from yesterday were then dispersed around the garden, in small-child-friendly hiding places. Judging spots that would keep two- to seven-year-olds interested is a little outside my experience, but it seemed to work well: the children (and my parents-, grandmother- and sister-in-law) came round after breakfast and were suitably entertained. Later on, for reasons I can't really explain, the children decided that they wanted to help water our garden. This being a slightly mundane and tedious job, I was happy to oblige...and while I worked from one end of the pots with the hose, they ran back and forth with watering cans. All the while, it appears, loving every minute.

Who knew childcare was as simple as giving them a watering can?

It's the middle one's birthday tomorrow, and Liz and I have been tasked with hosting the 'party', and making a birthday cake. It's a fairy ring, with small doll surrounded by toadstools, cunningly crafted from miniature muffins, chocolate rolls, and chocolate coated marshmallows. Hopefully she will like it...

No comments:

Post a Comment