Thursday 7 April 2011

Just in Time Mowing

I took advantage of a lovely warm day, and got out into the garden by 3 yesterday to mow the lawn. Couple of hours later, the compost bin is full, the lawn is shorter, and I have itchy eyes from the clippings. A success, I suppose: I'm pleased that it only took a couple of hours, because it took about twice that for the first clip. More pleasing is the timing, as the weather over night turned for the worse, and it's grey and damp. We're busy this weekend, so I won't have time to do it then, so missing the opportunity last night would have meant leaving it quite a while...and then it wouldn't have been a two-hour job.

A little pottering was also accomplished: I repotted an ornamental and edible cherry (Prunus tormentosa) which had a cracked pot, and planted five comfrey plants which arrived in the post. They're the Bocking 14 variety, which is sterile (no seedlings) and 'less' invasive: the leaves can be rotted into water to make a pick me up, or added to compost to enrich it. Not certain where they'll go, long-term, but they can grow on in their pots for now.

I finally got round to personally testing the treacle soda bread recipe, which was very tasty, and recommended.

Lastly, you might notice the addition of an extra page, where I'm recording what's in the ground in the vegetable garden. Thus far, just potatoes, onions, and a small patch of beans and peas. The onions are showing some signs of growth, which is pleasing, but no potatoes have broken through yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment