Wednesday 18 November 2009

Inundation

Absolutely torrential rain in the early hours, and on until nine-ish. There's a severe weather warning, it appears, for the area: apparently we might get a month's worth of rain in 36 hours. It's quite a contrast, coming from the Fens, the driest part of the country, up to the Pennines. It does, admittedly, make watering the garden rather easier: calls upon the hosepipe are fewer.

However, I am a little concerned about drainage. One of the raspberry beds was looking a little soggy a couple of days ago, and it wouldn't really surprise me. We'll have to keep an eye on it: might need to dig in extra manure, or some grit/sand to improve things.

The other disadvantage of the rain is that it's kept me from getting at the remaining sloes on the hillside. I might have to brave the wet tomorrow (assuming it is), and get them in. I realised we were a couple of ounces short for a batch of sloe gin, so I need to collect at least a handful. On a similar note, the blackberry brandy is looking rather good: I'm looking forward to that. Might have to try some blackberry, and raspberry, vinegars next autumn. This thought is prompted by memory of a cafe lunch a couple of weeks ago---while visiting Thorpe Perrow---comprising a rather good ham sandwich (sounds simple enough, no?), but with a really tasty, fruity vinegar. In my normal fashion, having seen/found something I like, I now want to try making it.

Hence, I'd better get those raspberry canes planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment